What are occasional invaders?
Occasional invaders are insects that live outside, but occasionally find their way into our homes and other structures. They typically move inside while foraging for food or when the weather isn’t to their liking. Any extreme weather conditions will drive occasional invaders indoors, such as heavy rains, droughts, heatwaves, or cold snaps. Once inside, they tend to gather in quiet areas that mimic their outdoor environments. Examples of occasional invaders include earwigs, centipedes, and silverfish.
Are occasional invaders dangerous?
There is no question that occasional invaders are annoying pests to deal with, but in most cases, they are not dangerous. Listed below are some problems that occasional invaders do cause us after moving into our homes:
- Chewing on or staining personal items like clothing, books, furniture, or curtains
- Contaminating surfaces with bacteria that they carry on their bodies and legs
- Contaminating dry goods stored in pantry areas
- Secreting unpleasant odors
- Feeding on and damaging houseplants
Why do I have an occasional invader problem?
Think of occasional invaders as those house guests that just drop by, unexpectedly. They don’t call or text, they just show up. One day your home is pest-free; the next, earwigs are crawling all over it. Occasional invaders will unexpectedly show up at any time of year but usually make an appearance in the fall, while trying to escape cold weather or searching for food when it becomes scarce.
Where will I find occasional invaders?
Many occasional invaders, including earwigs, centipedes, and silverfish, have high moisture needs. They live outside in the damp soil under trees, vegetation, or other materials that trap moisture. After finding their way into our homes, they will move to dark, damp areas. Basements, crawlspaces, utility rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms are where homeowners usually discover occasional invaders.
How do I get rid of occasional invaders?
The task of eliminating occasional invaders from your Oklahoma property should be left to a professional. At Thunder Pest Control, we have 50 years of combined pest control experience. We know pests and how to eliminate them from properties once and for all!
We guarantee our results and take pride in treating our customers like family. We are a local company dedicated to using only the most efficient, cutting-edge services possible. If you are looking for exceptional pest control solutions for your Oklahoma City area home or business, contact the pest professionals here at Thunder Pest Control today!
How can I prevent occasional invaders in the future?
In addition to our professional pest control services, take the time necessary to implement these easy-to-execute prevention tips:
- Remove moist, decaying vegetation like leaves and mulch from around the perimeter of your home where occasional invaders hide.
- Create a foot to foot and a half barrier between any soil or mulch and your home’s foundation.
- Remove hiding spots for occasional invaders from around your yard by getting rid of things like fallen trees, logs, and rocks.
- Store firewood off the ground, and away from the outside walls of your home.
- Keep the soil around your home’s foundation dry by cutting back overgrown shrubs and bushes, and making sure gutters are clear.
- Inspect the foundation of your home regularly, sealing up any openings you find.
- Replace damaged weather stripping, screens, and door sweeps.
- Inside your home, use dehumidifiers to keep your basement dry.
- Ventilate crawl spaces to keep them dry.