What are scorpions?
Scorpions are arachnids, and common pests that homeowners in Oklahoma deal with on a regular basis. Like other species of arachnids, scorpions aren’t something that anyone wants to be startled by. Scorpions have segmented tails that curve up over their backs; the last segment of their tails have a venom-filled stinger attached. They also have claw-like structures they use to capture and hold onto prey.
Scorpions are nocturnal, resting during the day and emerging at night to hunt for prey. One of the most common species of scorpions in our area is the striped bark scorpion (Centruoides vittatus). These scorpions have a yellow or tan body with two wide, black stripes on the top of their abdomens.
Are scorpions dangerous?
Along with being nuisance pests, scorpions are also dangerous for a number of reasons:
- They deliver painful stings that leave behind localized swelling.
- Those that are very allergic to their venom may experience a severe, life-threatening reaction.
- Their presence in or around your home may cause stress.
Why do I have a scorpion problem?
Scorpions are predators, feeding on a variety of insects, spiders, and lizards. Prey that scorpions feed on is what generally attracts scorpions to a property. Though it is important to note, scorpions can survive for weeks or even months without food, as long as there is water present. Since scorpions have high moisture needs, if the weather becomes too hot and dry outside, they often seek indoor shelter. Once inside, they move to areas of a home that are cool and damp and where they will be most comfortable.
Where will I find scorpions?
Scorpions are mainly outdoor pests. However, if their outdoor living conditions become unsuitable or while they’re looking for prey, they do often find their way indoors. Scorpions live near the outside of our homes in gardens, firewood piles, rocks piles, and flowerbeds. They are good climbers and can easily scale the outside of a home’s walls where they will come across cracks and crevices that they can fit through to get inside. When indoors, scorpions hide in bathrooms (sinks and tubs), basements, and crawl spaces. They also hide in closets, crawl spaces, and other storage areas.
How do I get rid of scorpions?
The task of eliminating scorpions from your Oklahoma property should be left to a professional. At Thunder Pest Control, we have 50 years of combined pest control experience. We know pests and how to eliminate them from properties once and for all!
We guarantee our results and take pride in treating our customers like family. We are a local company dedicated to using only the most efficient, cutting-edge services possible. If you are looking for exceptional pest solutions for your Oklahoma City area home or business, contact the pest professionals here at Thunder Pest Control today!
How can I prevent scorpions in the future?
In addition to our professional pest control services, take the time necessary to implement these easy-to-execute prevention tips:
- Reduce moisture levels in your home by using dehumidifiers to keep basements dry.
- Ventilate crawlspaces to keep them dry.
- Other ways to get rid of excess moisture from your home include fixing leaky pipes, wiping out water from sinks and bathtubs, and using fans in bathroom areas.
- Before putting on clothing or making a bed with sheets that have been stored away, make sure to first shake them out first.
- Be careful when reaching into boxes that have been in storage areas.
- Move woodpiles back away from the exterior of your house.
- Remove fallen trees, leaf piles, and other debris from your yard where scorpions can hide.
- Get rid of as much clutter in your home as possible to give scorpions fewer hiding spots.
- Keep scorpions out of your home by repairing cracks in the foundation or exterior walls, and sealing spaces around utilities entering your house.
- Place weatherstripping around windows and doors and repair damaged window or door screens.